Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS)
School Contact Checklist
To download ARISS School Contact Checklist, right click mouse on a format below and select "Save Target As"
ARISS School Contact Checklist in Rich Text Format
ARISS School Contact Checklist in Plain Text
Time of application
• Ensure planned school amateur radio station set-up is sufficient for contact (or request telebridge but ensure local hams are still working with the school)
• Complete application.
• Prepare a robust educational proposal.
• Submit plans for ways to include many youths.
• Submit statistics on student and community demographics.
• Submit media coverage proposal.
• Include school calendar covering one year.
• Submit application with educational proposal.
• Note receipt of an e-mail from ARISS that your application and accompanying papers were received.
• Note receipt of an e-mail from ARISS that your application was approved or if not, why it was not.
ARISS notifies school of time slot options and assigned ARISS school mentor
• Prepare school station for contact.
• Prepare news release.
• Contact the media.
• Invite parents, community and local officials
3-4 weeks prior to contact
• U.S. schools provide number of teachers and students who will participate in ARISS contact to JSC Education Office.
2-3 weeks prior to contact
• Submit student names, ages and questions.
• Submit a 2 or 3 paragraph description of your school and indicate how radio contact preparations are proceeding, and how lesson plans about science, technology, space, and wireless technology are proceeding.
• Obtain signed Student Release Forms
• Submit Release Forms
1 week prior to contact
• School is notified of assigned time slot
• U.S. schools only: Look for teacher and student paper surveys which will be mailed to the school by NASA-Johnson Space Center (JSC) Education Office.
24 hours prior to contact
• Submit the form 24 hours ARISS School Contact Confirmation
• Remind the media.
Immediately following contact
• U.S. Schools only: All teachers and students (grades 4-12) complete the NASA paper survey forms immediately following your contact and return them to the NASA-JSC Education Office. A commemorative picture of the ISS will be sent once the NASA surveys are returned.
1-3 days after contact after contact
• All schools download, fill out and e-mail the ARISS Activity Report (evaluation form) found at this link to ARISS mailbox JSC-TFS-ARISS@mail.nasa.gov Subject line: ARISS Activity Form (contact host) within 1-3 days after your contact.
3 days after contact
• Submit mp3 file, initial photos, statistics, media coverage, summary.
2 weeks after contact
• Video and follow up photos, etc.
13 November 2012